Saturday, July 19, 2014

Quote of the Day

With each passing month, too, I realized the importance of my First Commandment, "Be Gretchen."  As great minds throughout the ages have pointed out, one of our most pressing concerns should be to discover the laws of our own nature.  I had to build my happiness on the foundation of my character; I had to acknowledge what really made me happy, not what I wished made me happy.  One of the biggest surprises of the happiness project was just how hard it was to know myself.  I'd always been slightly exasperated by philosophers' constant emphasis on what seemed to me to be a fairly obvious question, but in the end I realized that I would spend my whole life grappling with the question of how to "Be Gretchen."

-- Gretchen Rubin, The Happiness Project, p. 288

No comments: