Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Quote of the Day

Some -- though reluctantly accepting my departure -- questioned my motivation for writing about it.  Was I burning my bridges, justifying my decision or hoping to recruit others?  Though hardly immune from such impulses, my primary reason for writing a book was easier to explain.  I'd always written about my inner journey in sermons, books and speeches.  The reflection others did in private I'd done in public.  Until now, friends and family had enjoyed eavesdropping on these internal conversations.  What had shifted was not my inclination, but my audience.  I wasn't writing for them any longer.  I was writing for those moving from a religious to a post-religious life, to ease their pain and encourage their persistence, to offer them what I had sought.

-- Jim Mulholland, "Why I Left Religion, Wrote a Book and Alienated Friends and Family"

No comments: