Friday, July 15, 2022

Quote of the Day

To this day interviewers ask me, "When did you know you were different?"  I use that question to make a broader point: I never felt that I was different.  Deep down, all of us want the same things -- we are all so very much alike.  We want acceptance and freedom and recognition and happiness.  So I never felt different in the context of whether or not I was a part of humanity.  I never realized I was different because I could plainly see that I wasn't.  What I did realize (and what I couldn't comprehend or articulate as a kid) is that people treated me differently.  I knew that I was just like everyone else, but the way I am and they way I express myself seemed to be a huge problem for everyone else.  People could never let me be, and it was incredibly mysterious.

-- Jeffrey Marsh, Nonbinary Memoirs of Gender and Identity, p. 75

No comments: