Monday, March 5, 2018

Quote of the Day

In an effort to calm things down, two days after the Times article appeared, I called for the public release of all the emails I had provided the State Department.  I knew that would be a level of transparency unheard of in public life.  In fact, more of my emails are now publicly available than every other President, Vice President, and Cabinet Secretary in our country's history combined.  I had nothing to hide, and I thought that if the public actually read all of these thousands of messages, many people would see that my use of a personal account was never an attempt to cover up anything nefarious.  The vast majority of the emails weren't particularly newsworthy, which may be why the press focused on any gossipy nugget it could find and otherwise ignored the contents.  There were no startling revelations, no dark secrets, no tales of wrongdoing or negligence.  They did, however, reveal something I felt was worth seeing: the hard work and dedication of the men and women of the State Department.

-- Hillary Rodham Clinton, What Happened, p. 302-303

No comments: