Thursday, June 14, 2018

Quote of the Day

Frankly, I am surprised to find myself advising you and other women on how we can reach equality with men.  I spent most of my life thinking we were already there.  We are not.  For me, it took living through Hillary [Clinton]'s bewildering campaign and processing the factors behind her loss to understand that we are not there.  For other women, it was the promotion that never came, or the umpteenth time a male colleague was lauded for an idea that had been ignored when a woman suggested it earlier, or the most recent time you were told you are a good sport for staying later than all the men and being the one who did all "the real work" that showed us we are not there.  Some women I know -- particularly women who are black or brown, less wealthy, or older than I am -- have always understood we have not reached equality.

-- Jennifer Palmieri, Dear Madam President, p. 172-173

No comments: