Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Quote of the Day

My process now if I'm in a state of depression or anxiety, both of which I have lived with for much of my life, I ask myself in the morning, "How good do I feel about being alive today?"  Thankfully these days, more times than not, the answer is at the very least, "Pretty good."  Some days it's "very good."  But there are some days where the answer is, "Not very good at all."  And then it becomes a descending clock.  It's no longer, "How do I feel about being alive today?" it's "How do I feel about being alive this hour?"  And if the answer is still "Not very good" then it's, "How do I feel about being alive in the next 20 minutes?"  If the answer is still "Not very good" then it gets a little more urgent and I ask, "What curiosity can propel me towards the next five minutes?"  If I move through the day I will find an accumulation of things that propel me to the next day where the answer might be different and better.

--  Hanif Abdurraqib

No comments: