Friday, July 28, 2023

Quote of the Day

I think grief treats me best when I'm channeling the people I've lost through my current living.  For example, the best example I can give of this also goes back to music.  There are a couple songs that I love, that I'm really drawn to, but they're songs I'm loving because I know (a close friend who passed away) would love them.  And so I am loving them through him.  Or there are things I know how to make, to cook or bake because I watched my mother do it.  I think grief treats us well when these parts of people that we've gotten to enjoy greet us warmly.  That's the real gift, to say I am not just one person, I am multiple versions of a person and some of those versions of myself have been loved immensely by people who were so incredible.  Through their loving of me I have a richer texture, and that texture that allows me to navigate the world in ways that I am not equipped to do so on my own.  And that means that on my best days I get through the world, through the challenges of living, navigated by a whole host of people who have created a generous blueprint through which I have learned to maneuver this life well.

--  Hanif Abdurraqib

No comments: