Thursday, December 23, 2021

Quote of the Day

For a long while I contorted myself to live according to a set of old memos I'd been issued about how to become a successful woman and build a strong family, career, and faith.  I thought those memos were universal Truth, so I abandoned myself to honor them without even unearthing and examining them.  When I finally pulled them out of my subconscious and looked hard at them: I learned that these memos had never been Truth at all -- just my particular culture's arbitrary expectations.  Hustling to comply with my memos, I was flying on autopilot, routed to a destination I never chose.  So I took back the wheel.  I quit abandoning myself to honor those memos.  Instead, I abandoned the memos and began honoring myself.  I began to live as a woman who never got the world's memos.

-- Glennon Doyle, Untamed, p. 74-75

No comments: