Monday, December 27, 2021

Quote of the Day

In my thirties ... I quit trying to be the perfect woman and decided to "celebrate my imperfection."  I claimed a new identity: Jacked-Up Human!  I announced to anyone who would listen, "I'm a hot mess and proud of it!  I love this crappy version of humanity that I am!  I am broken and beautiful!!  Eff you, Perfect Woman!"  The problem was that I still believed that there was an ideal human and that I was not her ... I had just decided to live in defiance of perfection instead of in pursuit of it.  Rebellion is as much of a cage as obedience is.  They both mean living in reaction to someone else's way instead of forging your own.  Freedom is not being for or against an ideal, but creating your own existence from scratch.

-- Glennon Doyle, Untamed, p. 91-92

No comments: