Monday, January 31, 2022

Quote of the Day

I am a feminist, but I was raised in a sexist culture.  I was raised in a world that tried to convince me through media, religious organizations, history books, and the beauty industry that female bodies are worth less than male bodies and that certain types of female bodies (thin, tall, young) are worth more than other types of female bodies.  The images of women's bodies for sale, the onslaught of emaciated women's bodies held up as the pinnacle of female achievement, and the pervasise message that women exist to please men is the air I breathed.  I lived in a mine, and the toxin was misogyny.  I got sick from it.  Not because I'm a bad, sexist person, but because I was breathing misogynistic air.

-- Glennon Doyle, Untamed, p. 215-216

No comments: