Friday, January 28, 2022

Quote of the Day

With a [social media] feed filled with white voices, faces that looked like my own, and articles that reflected experiences like mine, it was easy to believe that, for the most part, things were fine.  Once I committed myself to beginning each day by reading the perspectives of black and brown people, I learned that everything was, and always has been, quite far from fine.  I learned about rampant police brutality, the preschool-to-prison pipeline, the subhuman conditions of immigrant detainment centers, the pillaging of native lands.  I began to widen.  I was unlearning the whitewashed version of American history I'd been indoctrinated into believing.  I was discovering that I was not who I imagined myself to be.  I was learning that my country was not what I had been taught it was.

-- Glennon Doyle, Untamed, p. 209

No comments: