Thursday, March 24, 2022

Quote of the Day

Our inability to escape certain realities doesn't change the fact that there are many who had the luxury of hiding from them.  So, when I consider this, sometimes sharing (a large portion) of my truth feels too heavy to me.  It feels too much of a burden, not only to share, but to try and enlighten someone about, especially if you know that their primary Black experience is you.  I feel that if my truth is too heavy for me, and I've been living with it my whole life, then will they be crushed under the weight of it?  Not having awareness of the truth makes them privileged and me treating them like they're too delicate to handle the truth keeps them privileged.  This is the cycle myself and other people of color sometimes struggle with.

-- Andrea Krystal, Can Black People Grow Hair?, p. 105-106

No comments: