Sunday, November 18, 2018

Quote of the Day

I repeatedly begged my mother to leave the church, to see that all my misfortune began when I came out as gay, that the church was persecuting me for it.  For more than two years, she had repeatedly appealed to the church for ways to help me, but all she'd received were more probing questions about me and my life.  What was I doing?  Who was I with?  How was my business?  What kind of income was I bringing in?  Could she get me to make another donation?  Tell us more about this woman she's with.  She had always answered their questions, trusting the church's word that they were only asking so they could help me.  Whenever my mother tried convincing me that they were asking out of concern, I pleaded with her to open her eyes.  The church had no intention of helping me.  My fellow Scientologists -- the people I had been taught to trust blindly -- were trolling for information to hurt me.

-- Michelle LeClair, Perfectly Clear, p. 255

No comments: