Monday, November 26, 2018

Quote of the Day

After so many years of following Scientology's rules with the goal of reaching enlightenment, I experienced a realization so difficult to swallow that it was staggering.  I was nothing but a shell -- a brittle, hard shell -- of a person.  Appearances can be so deceiving.  From the outside, I looked pretty good.  I worked hard.  I was financially successful.  I devoted myself to the church.  I sold my religion to anyone who was willing to bite.  It will fulfill you like nothing else you have ever known!  I would say.  Yet there was nothing inside of me.  Nothing.  I was taught to feel nothing.  By conforming, by doing what others did merely because they did it, I had paved the way, in the words of Virginia Woolf, for a lethargy that "steals over all the finer nerves and faculties of the soul."  I had become "all outer show and inward emptiness; dull, callous, and indifferent."

-- Michelle LeClair, Perfectly Clear, p. 278

No comments: