Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Quote of the Day

I was on the road to reconciling my gayness with the hate spewed from the bully pulpits of my childhood ... I learned early on that questioning religion garnered two abrupt responses: shaming and/or banishment.  I had already been shamed and banished for asking a question about the reach of God's love in Sunday school class when I was ten, and wearing a green afro wig and singing an Aretha Franklin tune at Kennywood park when I was fifteen, so there you have it -- no love lost.  I actually enjoyed the unspoken exile.  I count myself as one of the lucky ones, one of the ones who broke free from what very often can be a life's worth of debilitating stagnation.  I've seen it.  I felt it happening to me.  The Christian othering, the soul-salvation bullies.  The shame that keeps one bound up in a prison of their own mind for a lifetime.  The hypocrisy of church folks was dangerous and deadly to me, and I could see that fact plain as day.

-- Billy Porter, Unprotected, p. 101

No comments: