Saturday, May 28, 2022

Quote of the Day

As for my biological family, my absolute and unequivocal extraction from the dangers of their lack of understanding of me and thereby their inability to love me unconditionally was my only path to survival.  The Bible had become the breaking point, and I was no longer interested in believing in something that didn't believe in me.  Sorrowfully, with much pain and sacrifice, I cut organized religion out of my life.  And when I say I drew a line in the sand, I mean -- fo' real, fo' real.  I stopped going home to Pittsburgh for holidays.  Hell, I stopped going home to visit, period!  I had already had one foot out the door for a decade, but I held on to the hope that my community would choose love over fear.  Most didn't have the tools.  So I bounced.  I have discovered in recent years that there was a lot of collateral damage in the wake of my decision.  At the same time, I have observed how many of my family members and extended members of the community have evolved.

-- Billy Porter, Unprotected, p. 173-174

No comments: