Sunday, May 29, 2022

Quote of the Day

The horrifying images of Minneapolis white police officer Derek Chauvin pressing his knee on George Floyd's neck for 8:46 has been running on a loop nonstop on my television screen and in my mind for days now.  I'm tired.  I've had enough.  We've all had enough of this.  Four hundred years of the same shit.  Every day of my life I live in fear for it.  EVERY DAY of my life my humanity has been up for legislation.  And we're supposed to just sit down and shut up.  We are at a tipping point, and Orangina 45 and his cronies know exactly what they are doing.  Create dissent.  Create division.  Create chaos and watch it all burn and then blame Black people for having a response.  We are tired.  We are enraged.  I'm so mad I don't know what to say.  I'm so enraged that I have a hard time speaking because all I want to do is scream.  All I want to do is rage.  All I want to do is burn it all down.  Dismantle the entire system and let the chips fall where they may.  I don't know how else to do it.  They pushed us, once again, to the brink of insanity.  Every day of my life I have to make myself smaller so white folks will feel more comfortable.  I'm done doing that.

-- Billy Porter, Unprotected, p. 197

No comments: